Save as you go on the latest pay as you go phones and your calls, including iPhones, Blackberrys and the latest smartphones. There are two ways to save – on the cost of a new handset and the cost of your calls as well.
Key points to consider
- You can save between 32% and 47% (depending on your tax rate) on a new mobile phone and your calls from Carphone Warehouse, O2, EE/T Mobile and Vodafone.
- The maximum handset limit of £600 means that if you are a basic rate tax payer you can select the latest smartphone and enjoy up to £192 in tax and NI savings off the cost of the handset.
- Would it be easier for you to pay for your calls on a pay as you go basis?
- Through this scheme you can use tax–free top ups to pay for your calls up to £50 a month.
- This benefit can be selected at any time during the scheme year. If you sign up for a mobile phone through my Aviva flex you will need to remain in the scheme for at least 12 months.
- If you have a company phone already, you will need to agree to a declaration that you will use your business phone for business use only.
Mobile phone – saves on Tax?
Mobile phone – saves on NI?
Top ups – saves on Tax?
Top ups – saves on NI?
Mobile phones through my Aviva flex is a salary sacrifice arrangement*.
How it works
- We recommend you read all of the information available including the terms and conditions below before selecting this benefit.
- Take a look at the great range of pay as you go phones available at the participating retailers and decide how much you want to spend, up to £600 on your new handset and up to £50 for monthly top–ups.
- If you want a phone that costs more or less than the fixed amounts on the selection screen you can make up the difference in cash but you can't get a refund so it's probably better to select a lower amount. You won't save tax or NI on any cash payments to make up the difference.
- The cost of the handset will be paid for by a one–off deduction from salary in the first month after you select.
If you have a company phone already, you can only select a mobile phone through my Aviva flex if you agree to a declaration that you will use your business phone for business use only. This specifically covers any private use, including making/sending or receiving private calls or text.
* If you choose to select Mobile phones through my Aviva flex then you will do so under a salary sacrifice arrangement. This will result in a reduction in your contractual salary of the agreed amount in return for the provision of the agreed benefit by Aviva. Once selected, you will have no right to revisit your choice until:
- the end of the 12 month period, or
- you experience a qualifying life event as defined in the my Aviva flex scheme rules.
Participating in salary sacrifice may also impact your entitlement to certain state benefits.
For general questions about this benefit, you can call the my Aviva flex helpline on 0800 917 2310.
- Download the mobile phone terms and conditions (PDF, 17KB)
- Download the mobile phones fact sheet (PDF, 1.01MB)
What happens next?
- Login and select this benefit on the flex system at anytime.
- If you select this benefit you will receive an email at the end of the enrolment period confirming your selection.
- Once you have selected your phone and top–up amounts, the cost of the handset and the first top up amount will be deducted from your salary in the month after you make the selection, and we will send you a pre–loaded card for the phone and your first months top up.
- If you selected your phone in the annual flex enrolment window, the payment will be taken from your July salary and the pre–loaded card will be sent to you in July.
- You then take the card to one of the participating retailers to get your new phone and to activate your top–ups.
- The top–ups you choose for your phone will be deducted from your salary for the following 12 months after you select and automatically applied to your phone monthly.